Thursday, April 30, 2009

artist statement

I decided to submit an artist statement for my senior show at CCSU thats opening tomorrow. Here it is:

Over the last few years I have gravitated towards people as the focus of my artwork. It wasn’t intentional, but it happened because people are difficult to get just right. Capturing someone’s likeness is one of the most challenging things to accomplish as we are accustomed to noticing the slightest of details in each others faces. If something is just a little off, it’s noticeable. As a result of this fact, I was forced to refine my rendering technique.

Since childhood I have preferred graphite as my medium of choice and that hasn’t changed much after completing my degree in illustration. Graphite has a wonderful ability to be manipulated. It can be applied, lifted and layered to form different textures and if something goes wrong it can be erased and you can start over. It’s a forgiving medium and in that respect it’s comfortable. Graphite permits me the ability to focus on observation without the concern of medium control.

These days, I still use graphite whenever I can, but I have also started exploring the flexibility of acrylics. I really enjoy how many different effects I can apply to acrylic paint. Recently I started a series of large paintings where I focused on background textures. Using heavily applied tinted gesso, layering, sanding and acrylic glazing I have accomplished some very intricate textures. After completing a balanced and sensibly even texture, I apply a highly stylized almost stencil-like portrait. Painting in this manner allows the texture to play a part in the portrait and acts as a binding element. This recent series has been about my peers here at CCSU. The figures are people that I have had multiple classes with and have watched grow as artists in their own right. I wanted to do this series as a way of recording them as they are now, the year I graduate.

When people view my work, I like them to try and connect with the subject. Sometimes I focus on an expression, and other times I focus on a pose, but I always try to incorporate an avenue of connection with the audience. It’s never just about representing someone I know, it’s about relating to them personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment